Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Robin Williams Tribute

                
                   I drew that at work this morning for all to see. I wanted to see what people would do/say. Mostly people didn't talk much about the tragedy, instead it roused a few smiles! You see, people remember Robin Williams and smile because that is what he did! He made us smile. We all grew up with him in one way or another, I saw him most in his films, others can recite his stand-ups without hesitation. His death is a great loss for everyone who loved him and the world is just a bit darker without him.
                  One coworker of mine recalled her tears the night before. She said how she wondered why she was crying when she didn't know him. I told her we all knew him, in a way. Robin was an artist; and as an artist he showed everyone who he was. He let us all know him, in a way. 
                  Through his acting we saw his heart, his passion for theater and he always gave it his all. No matter what the script, comedy or drama, one can just tell that he loved to tell stories, wether it be as a character in one or alone on a stage speaking to an audience. Through his stand up we saw his mind, he imbued his comedy with his experiences and stories he had lived and relayed how he thought about subjects like the president and gun control ("The National Rifle Association says you have the rights to own armor piercing rounds if you're a hunter. WHY? How many deer wear bulletproof vests?!")
                  After hearing the news I immediately lit a candle and went to my dvds to find Mrs. Doubtfire, which is apparently the first film of his that comes to mind for me. Not finding it I went to netflix and began watching Hook. About half way through I realized how many times I had seen the film and went off to find one of my favorites: Bicentennial Man. This movie brought me to tears when I first saw it and I had been meaning to see it again. It still makes me cry. I watched that, and his stand up Weapons of Self Destruction until the candle went out (a tiny tea light). Getting into bed, still watching his stand ups I realized the irony in the fact that I was laughing at the man to get over his demise. 
                   That's what makes him great. Great comedy can make us laugh no matter what the situation. Another reason he was great is that it seemed that he was always on. Even when he wasn't on stage or a set, in interviews, on the red carpet, it seemed he love to make others laugh, and he was brave enough to do things to get those laughs that most others would not. 
                   I spoke to him. My vivid imagination could conjure a ghost of him, standing in my apartment. I told him through tears he was going to live forever. The films he was in, his stand up, they will be watched for generations to come, and remembered long after that. We live for as long as our memories are held dear and what better way to be remembered than making people smile?
                   So many people have posted tributes, condolences, and good-byes (the one quoted in my drawing brought me to tears again after I thought I was done!). I am no different. I cannot find a new way to say this that has not been said countless time in the past 24 hours. There is only one way to say farewell to the huge talent the Robin Williams was: Cry, watch his films and stand-ups, and promise to help him live on by showing them to others. I hope I never need to hear someone ask "Who is Robin Williams?" That's up to us. Generations to come need to see this man, because he is great, and he is an inspiration.
                   In his Inside the Actor's Studio interview he said that he hopes that there is laughter in heaven. Well, Mr. Williams, if there wasn't any before, there certainly is now!
                   But here in life the man was an artist, a genius of comedy who makes us laugh even in the wake of his death. Through that art, through our laughter, he will live forever.
  1. July 21, 1951-August 11, 2014


RIP Robin Williams
One of the best. One of the greats!

No comments:

Post a Comment